Buying property on PEI? Use our checklist before closing!
Some of the items below were your responsibility, and some should have been taken care of by the sellers. In a perfect world, the other side would have done everything they were supposed to do flawlessly. In reality, often times Sellers with the best intentions are unable or unwilling to leave the property as they should. Your agent can try to address the areas of concern with the other agent. However, if your biggest need is to move in as scheduled, it is best to have plans in place to address the issues and take care of them yourself if they come up.
PEI Real Estate Purchaser Closing Checklist
- Is the property in the condition it was in the day you offered on it?
- Are all chattels and items (ex. Fridge, stove, TV wall mounts) included in the sale on site and in place?
- Did you receive a key for every door? If not, you may need to get the locks changed sooner than planned.
- Did you receive mail keys and directions to the box location? If not, you will have to contact Canada Post.
- Did you receive garage door openers? If not, you will have to plan to get new openers and program them.
- Are there seasonal issues that need to be addressed (Ex. Snow removal, grass cutting, tree trimming) that day, to allow access for movers etc.?
- Are there screens for every window? If not, you may have to get some made.
- Is the oil tank, propane etc. filled?
- Is there debris left that will need to be removed? You may need to order a dumpster or hire a third party.
- Is the property clean enough that the cleaning you planned and budgeted for can be completed on budget and on time?
- Are the waste watch bins on site, in place and empty? You may need extra debris storage if the previous owner left them full.
- Is the power on, water running, and heating / cooling system working?
- Are all the appliances working?