After putting a large amount of time and effort into getting your property looking good and ready to sell, you want to follow a few simple steps to ensure it shows its best. Use our checklist below when showing your PEI home for sale.
Showing Preparation Checklist
- Do your best to have your home ready for a showing most times. We consider 24 hours reasonable notice for a showing, but often agents will request showings with much less notice and we don’t want to miss an opportunity.
- Have the lockbox installed on, and the walkway cleared to, the most desirable entrance to the home.
- Unless it is a safety issue (ex. you don’t feel comfortable leaving during a storm), always leave for showings. You want Purchasers to feel comfortable looking at your home and most don’t while you are there. If you have to stay, leave the Purchasers and their agent alone to view the property and if asked, request all questions go through your agent.
- Lighting is key, make sure all the drapes are open and all the lights are on – inside and outside – (even in the middle of the day). You want the agent concentrating on their clients and your property, not looking to turn lights on and off.
- Open all doors between rooms to create an open, inviting feel.
- Cleaner the better
- Scan the floor for debris
- Make sure the counters are clutter free
- Empty garbage before every showing, especially in the kitchen
- Keep everything freshly dusted and vacuumed
- Beds made
- Bathrooms cleaned, toilet lid down
- Inside and out should sparkle
- Avoid using scented sprays before showings. Some people won’t enjoy the smell, some will think you are trying to cover something up, and some will be allergic.
- Pets should not be in, or on, the property for showings. If this is not possible, come up with a reasonable solution with your agent.
- Remain flexible, agents won’t always be able to arrive at scheduled times (often because their clients took less or more time to view the properties schedule before yours). It is good practice to leave 15 minutes before the requested time and come back 15 minutes after the requested time.